Thursday, April 05, 2007

Catalans in Houston

Several months ago, when I first began to study Catalan, I decided to make a group on Google Groups for Catalan speakers and Catalan enthusiasts to find eachother. Well, months passed without a single response until finally, a girl named Sara here in Houston contacted me! Well, she doesn't speak Catalan, but she understands a good bit and she's been to Catalonia several times and has lots of Catalan friends (none of which live in Houston still). In any case, it was a start! And so she suggested that we meet and have our first official meeting for the "Catalan in Houston" group. The very same week that she joined the online group, I had met a super cute and adorable Catalan guy named Albert at a French meetup group that I attend on Wednesdays called the French Connection. So I invited him too! And now we're three!

So tonight, we had our first meeting at The Gingerman in the Rice Village. It's a little pub type place. Sara put out her Catalan flag on the table and we had some fun discussion and conversation. Albert showed up and brought his friend, an Argentine, who also is interested in Catalonian culture but doesn't speak the language yet. But that's okay. The four of us seemed to have a good time. I really enjoyed hanging out with them.

So I'm the founder of a new little minority culture group in Houston. It's pretty neat. God, I'm such a nerd, but I love it.

 

1 comment:

Miquel Marzabal Galano said...

Hola noi, sóc el Miquel.
Ja coneixes la pàgina
www.catalansalmon.com?
I al facebook també hi ha catalans d'arreu del món. Pot ser que t'interessi.
Una abraçada!